Lesson # 842 from the Noble Quran
God has forbidden indecencies (lewdness etc.)
Surah ‘A’-RAAF (The Heights) – Chapter – 7)
Stage – 2, Verse – 33 of 206, Section – 4 of 24 (Part – 8)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
|Say: My Lord has forbidden only indecencies, such of them as are apparent and such as are hidden, and sin and wrongful oppression, and that ye associate with Allah that for which no warrant hath been revealed, and that ye tell concerning Allah that which ye know not.||Qul ‘innamaa harrama Rabbi-yal-fawaahishi maa zahara minhaa wa maa batana wal-‘isma wal-bagya bi-gayril-haqqi wa ‘an-tushrikuu BIllaahi maa lam yunazzil biHii sultaa-nanw-wa ‘an-taquuluu ‘alAllaahi maa laa ta’-lamuun.|
It was revealed in the previous verse that Allah Almighty has not forbidden from wearing raiment/adornment and eating pure and good things, but He has created all these things for the purpose that His bondmen in the world should reap advantage. In this verse, those matters have been described, which are forbidden by Him.
- He has forbidden indecencies (lewdness and shamelessness), whether those are apparent or hidden.
- The sin is forbidden. The word ‘ism has come in the verse, that is to say; Allah Almighty has forbidden “’ism”. ‘Ism means “such act, which is against the Islamic Law and the effect of which is bad on others or which is harmful for oneself as – committing suicide, making the lawful things forbidden upon oneself without any reason, slackness in worshiping physically like prayer and fasting etc. and such other matters, for example; using alcohol, habit of intoxicating agents, gambling, use of poisons, drying own hands and feet as usually jogi people etc. do.
- Using force over others without any reason, teasing and hurting someone – like robbery, theft etc. all these kinds of matters are included in it, in which, loss or damage of anyone comes, whether that is only a little bit. These entire matters are included in forbidden.
- Worshiping someone else or perceiving interference of any other like remover of difficulties or supplier of any want except Allah Almighty, as idolaters of the Arab used to say: We honor the idols because they are our recommendatory before Allah. And they used to tell that Allah has appointed them means Himself among Him and us. Our desires are fulfilled through them. But they have no proof of these affairs. Allah Almighty has not revealed any such verse, from which it might be proved that He (God) has handed over this responsibility to any other for supplying the wants of His servants.
- Calumniating at random things in the name of Allah Almighty. Obviously, we know about Allah Almighty only that, which Holy Qur’an has described and His Messenger (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) has made us to understand. Except that, which They have told and admonished, saying by oneself about Allah Almighty will be meant that we are telling such a lie, about which we have not been informed, as the people of Makkah used to say: Allah has ordained to us to go round the Ka’-bah We should understand from this statement that Allah Almighty has commanded Being naked is indecency and the indecency is forbidden. If it is admitted in the Fine Arts, even then, it will remain indecent and forbidden.
Transliterated Holy Qur’an in Roman Script & Translated from Arabic to English by Marmaduke Pickthall, Published by Paak Company, 17-Urdu Bazar, Lahore, Lesson collected from Dars e Qur’aan published By Idara Islaah wa Tableegh, Lahore (translated Urdu to English by Muhammad Sharif)